PUBLIC NOTICE IN ANTICIPATION OF ORANGE COUNTY, NEW YORK RECEIVING FEDERAL FUNDS UNDER THE EMERGENCY FOOD & SHELTER NATIONAL BOARD PROGRAM, APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR PHASE 35
- Download Public Notice (PDF)
- Download Application for Funding - Phase 35 Information (PDF)
- Download Counterterrorism Compliance Form (PDF)
Request for Application Released
April 30, 2018
Application Due Date
May 21, 2018
Anticipated Award Date
June 18, 2018
IN ANTICIPATION OF ORANGE COUNTY, NEW YORK RECEIVING FEDERAL FUNDS UNDER THE EMERGENCY FOOD & SHELTER NATIONAL BOARD PROGRAM, APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR PHASE 35
A Local Board, made up of representatives from United Way of the Dutchess-Orange Region, American Red Cross – Orange/Sullivan, Catholic Charities, Church of the Good Shepherd, Orange County Government, Emergency Housing Group, Inc., Food Bank of the Hudson Valley, Guild of St. Margaret Soup Kitchen, Jewish Family Services of Orange County and community members, determines how funds awarded to Orange County will be distributed among the emergency food and shelter programs run by local service organizations in the area. The Local Board is responsible for recommending agencies to receive these and any additional funds available under this phase of the program.
Under the terms of the grant from the National Board, local governmental or private voluntary organizations chosen to receive funds must: 1) have the capability to provide emergency food and/or shelter services year round, 2) be private voluntary nonprofits or units of government, 3) have an accounting system, and will pay all vendors with the organization’s check, store/vendor issued credit card, or organization’s debit card, 4) practice non-discrimination, 5) have a voluntary board if a private, not-for-profit, and 6) not be debarred or suspended from receiving Federal funds. Qualifying organizations are urged to apply.
Public or private voluntary organizations interested in applying for Emergency Food and Shelter Program funds may download the application and certification forms. All questions should be directed to Melissa Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org, 845-471-1900 x3128.
Hard copies of applications and certification forms must be hand-delivered or submitted by mail by May 21, 2018. Electronic submissions will not be accepted. Please mail applications to: United Way of the Dutchess-Orange Region, 75 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601.
Orange County has been chosen to receive $140,497.00 to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in the county. The selection was made by a National Board that is chaired by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency and consists of representatives from American Red Cross; Catholic Charities, USA; National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA; The Jewish Federations of North America, The Salvation Army; and United Way Worldwide.
To be eligible to apply and receive federal EFSP funds, an applicant organization must:
1. Be nonprofit or an agency of government.
2. Expend funds for food, meals, rent/mortgage assistance, and utility assistance only.
3. Expend funds to supplement existing food, meal, rent/mortgage assistance and utility assistance services, not as a substitute for other program funds or to start new programs and must be expended within the program year as to be defined by the National Board.
4. Provide services to residents and transients within Orange County, NY.
5. Provide services free of charge.
6. Serve needy people without discrimination (age, race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, economic status or sexual orientation), must be sensitive to the specialized needs of homeless individuals with mental and physical disabilities and the needs of those transitioning from temporary shelter to more permanent housing, and must facilitate access for homeless individuals to other sources of services and benefits.
7. All expenditures must be paid for LRO by check, LRO credit card, or LRO debit card payable to the vendor (e.g. food bank, landlord, utility company, etc.). No cash payments are allowed with EFSP funds. All payments must be made for the exact amount of the purchase at the time of purchase. No pre-paid accounts are allowed.
8. Have an accounting system or fiscal agent approved by the local board
9. Have a Federal employer identification number (FEIN) AND a DUNS number.
10. Conduct an independent audit (EFSP funds $50,000 or more) or independent financial review (EFSP funds $25,000 to $49,999) if EFSP funds exceed applicable guidelines.
11. Currently providing EFSP eligible services and utilize other agency resources in supporting these services.
12. Practice nondiscrimination in service provision, employment, and volunteer utilization.
13. Have a voluntary board if private, not-for-profit.
14. Have appropriate disaster recovery planning that ensures continuity of services and records retention in the event of a disaster.
15. Comply with any other restrictions on use of Federal funds for lobbying or other regulated activities.
16. Submit all required reports completely and on time.
Please submit (2) two signed copies of your proposal and all required materials. All applications must be submitted via postal mail or hand delivered to in their entirety by 5:00 PM on Monday, May 21, 2018 to the address listed below:
United Way of the Dutchess-Orange Region
c/o Melissa Clark
75 Market Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Please note: Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted or reviewed. Electronic submissions will not be accepted.
Questions related to this request for application should be submitted in writing to Melissa Clark at email@example.com.
EMERGENCY FOOD AND SHELTER CHECKLIST
Application is signed by authorized representative
Narrative of program is attached
All required documents are attached:
Agency operating budget
Program budget(s) for areas requested above
Copy of most recent annual audit or financial statements (if request is over $25,000)
Roster of agency’s volunteer board
Local Recipient Organization Certification
Fiscal Agent Certification, if applicable
Submit (2) two copies of proposal in its entirety