United Way of the Dutchess-Orange Region is proud to celebrate National Volunteer Week 2017 as part of its annual Days of Caring initiative. This year United Way’s National Volunteer Week, taking place now through April 29th, offers a variety of opportunities in the Hudson Valley to volunteer and support the community with 13 projects across Dutchess and Orange counties and more than 35 corporate teams attending.
“I am proud that there are so many volunteers in our community willing to step up and help out the nonprofits in our area. Our Days of Caring continue to grow!” said Melissa Clark, Community Impact Manager of United Way.
A nationwide celebration established by Points of Light, National Volunteer Week is a civic and volunteer initiative that promotes the spirit of volunteerism and supports the work of nonprofit organizations in our community. The week draws people together with one common goal; taking action and encouraging individuals and their respective communities to be the center for change. It serves as an opportunity to recognize and thank volunteers who lend their time, talent, voice, and support to causes they care about in their community.
The official theme for National Volunteer Week is “Service Unites,” to “capture the power of change-makers to come together to build stronger, more vibrant communities through service” according to Points of Light. United Way’s participation in National Volunteer Week helps illustrate the great work nonprofits do in our in our region and demonstrates how people working together can accomplish a greater good.
Area businesses are encouraged to support United Way and its Days of Caring by allowing employees to join an existing service project or by creating a team of employees to volunteer together to support a service project. Businesses or individuals interested in finding out about volunteer opportunities in their area are invited to visit volunteer.uwdor.org or contact Melissa Clark at 845-471-1900 ext. 3128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are 13 different nonprofit agencies and organizations participating in National Volunteer Week in the Hudson Valley including:
· Abilities First will have volunteers from IBM Corporation and Marriott painting, landscaping and organizing.
· American Red Cross will have volunteers from Ball Corp, Macy’s, Mount Saint Mary College, and UPS help with organizing and cleaning the warehouse.
· Art Centro will have volunteers from Family Services and Mid-Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union planting a garden and landscaping.
· Boys & Girls Club of Newburgh will have volunteers from Liberty Environmental Management gardening and landscaping.
· Community Family Development will have volunteers from Nubian Directions cleaning out the attic, planting and yard work.
· Cornerstone Family Healthcare will have volunteers from Leadership Orange and Walden Savings Bank sorting, organizing and painting.
· Dress for Success Dutchess County will have volunteers from Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union and Marist College help cleaning and organizing a boutique for women.
· Food Bank of the Hudson Valley will have volunteers from Catania, Mahon, Milligram & Rider, Central Hudson, Macy’s and TD Bank sorting and organizing food donations.
· Hudson River Housing will have volunteers from the Poughkeepsie Journal and Young Leaders United assist with Poughkeepsie Earth Day Clean-Up.
· Hudson Valley Community Center will have volunteers from Poughkeepsie City School District landscaping, painting, and pruning.
· Mid-Hudson Children’s Museum will have volunteers from LEGOLAND New York, M&T Bank and Rhinebeck Bank painting, cleaning, and landscaping.
· Peach Hill Park will have volunteers from IBM and Young Leaders United planting trees and assisting in park clean up.
· Safe Harbors of the Hudson will have volunteers from Central Hudson, Cornerstone Family Healthcare, Crystal Run Medical Group, TD Bank, and UNFI assist with Newburgh Earth Day Community Clean-Up.
For more information about volunteering opportunities, contact Melissa Clark at email@example.com or call 845.471.1900, ext 3128